Friday, October 26, 2007

Prodi - You must be joking!?

This is off-topic somewhat, but the government of my adopted second home is planning something which I find deeply disturbing, disheartening, but somehow typical. A law is being tabled to provide for the Registration of Blogs.


I'm no peddler of 'bloggers rights' - it simply appears to me that the current Italian government, having taken a blog-based hammering from Beppe Grillo (who in my opinion is nothing more than another example of a long Italian tradition of opportunistic polemicists) now thinks that discouraging bloggers will solve their problems. Italian politicians are (again in my opinion) amongst the most far-removed from the people they serve: they know little of ordinary life, floating along as they do on cushions of state-paid benefits ("feeding from the public trough", as I have heard such things described), enjoying some of the highest political salaries in Europe, offering (often cynically) some of the more absurd policies, demonstrating time and again a level of ignorance and indifference that shocks even the likes of myself who lives in the quirky peripheral European state of Bertieland.


In the finest Berlusconi tradition, they are embarrassing the entire country by their actions. Public servants doing their usual disservice to their public. Sorry for the bitterness in my tone. I watched Le Iene last night (entertaining political exposé show on Mediaset) and it always leaves me feeling particularly angry with the Italian ruling class.


As they (apparently) say in Rome er più pulito c'ha la rogna (even the cleanest of them has scabies).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The embarrassment it's the minor problem.
They (Government and opposition) are transforming the entire country by their actions into Banana Republic

Anonymous said...

Italy IS a Banana Republic.
And I'm sorry for the banana...

Marcello Belguardi said...

...Beppe Grillo (who in my opinion is nothing more than another example of a long Italian tradition of opportunistic polemicists)

Io non la penso cosi'...( per diversi motivi, potremmo aprire una discussione qui).. ma nel frattempo puoi dare un voto anche tu per farlo diventare il piu' importante blogger del mondo? E' nei top 25 per il Time. Facciamolo diventare il primo.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1725323_1727246,00.html

ciao

Marcello